Instructions for Hot Pack Use (Moist Heat)
Hot packs are NOT to be used on a fresh injury/surgical area that is still warm to the touch when comparing it to the other side. However, they may be used on the muscles surrounding the area if the muscles are tight and cramped. H
1. Wet and wring-out a hand towel made of cotton (terry cloth), fold and place in a microwave oven.
2. Heat the towel on high setting for 1.5 minutes.
3. Carefully remove the heated towel from the microwave oven by holding the corner of the towel. CAUTION! THE TOWEL WILL BE VERY HOT!
4. Shake out the folded towel to cool it off a little, and then refold it.
5. Place the towel over the affected area and cover it with another dry towel, plastic or vinyl wrap/cover to keep the heat from escaping. The heat will last for approximately 3-5 minutes.
6. While applying the first towel, heat a second one so that you time it to be done when the first cools off too much. Apply the second towel and rotate it again with the first, repeating the process.
7. With three rotations, you should get a good 10-15 minutes of moist heat treatment.