FAQ: Obtaining Physical Therapy
The state of Hawai`i currently requires a Physician referral to begin Physical Therapy. You have a choice as to which Physical Therapy tice you would like to attend, provided your insurance company is participating. At Elam Sports O`ahu™ we attempt to make the referral process as simple as possible and therefore require minimal paperwork from you, if any at all! Here’s the referral process, by the numbers:
- Patient and Physician decide Physical Therapy is warranted
- Physician writes a prescription for Physical Therapy
- Physician gives the prescription to the patient
- Patient calls Elam Sports O`ahu™ Administrative Office at 674-9595 asking for Physical Therapy services
- Physician faxes prescription to Elam Sports O`ahu™ Administrative Office at 674-9696
- Our New Patient Representative contacts the patient to obtain information to begin Physical Therapy services
- Insurance coverage is verified
- The assigned Physical Therapist or Clinic Receptionist contacts the patient to schedule an Initial Evaluation
…and Physical Therapy begins!
Communicating With Your Doctor
Initial Evaluation: Your first visit with the therapist is to conduct an initial evaluation. Our Administrative TEAM will then fax it to your referring Physician for their review.
Progress Notes: Your progress is documented at each visit you have with your Physical Therapist. These notes are also available to your referring Physician.
Reevaluation: Usually, reevaluations are done prior to an upcoming follow-up visit with your Physician. Your Therapist may print out a copy and ask you to hand-deliver it to your doctor. Otherwise, it will be faxed to your referring Physician before your visit so he/she will know how things are going.
There are a few insurances, case workers or adjustors who also require some or all of the above listed documentation. Our Administrative TEAM insures that all parties receive the necessary documents.